Photo credit: Ritz Carlton Laguna Nigel website
I am so excited to be attending Mom 2.0 Summit again this year! Epic. That’s really the only word I have to describe my previous experience. As a seasoned second-year (ha—what is this, Hogwarts?) I have compiled a list of five things I will do differently this year:
1. I will not overpack. I will bring one extra outfit per day for emergencies, not three. I was pleasantly surprised last year that it did not feel like a style competition; don’t misunderstand me, there are literally a hundred style experts in the same conference room. But not once did I feel that it was a competition. Women all around me were complimenting each other and there was no ‘mean girl’ spirit. At all. Incredible, right? It’s true.
2. I will bring comfortable shoes. Especially for the evening events. Both evenings I was on my feet milling around for practically the entire evening. I suffered.
3. I will leave room in my suitcase for ‘swag’ and presents to bring home for my kids. I had to leave so many wonderful things behind last year because I could not fit it into my already overweight suitcase. So sad!
4. I will relax about networking. When I stepped into the hotel last year, I knew not one person. That changed immediately. I met so many people. Possibly everyone (okay, not everyone). But, the people who I have kept in touch with this past year are those that I simply enjoyed having breakfast with, sitting next to in a workshop, or chatting with on the bus ride. Truly, those connections were by far the most productive, wonderful, and real.
5. I will allow time to reflect. I am so pleased that I will be arriving early this year, and I will have some time on Sunday to sit and process all the information and ideas that will be buzzing in my head. Last year I left the hotel 5am Sunday morning. Ouch. I learned that lesson the hard way (which, let’s be honest, I do that most of the time).
Are you attending Mom 2.0 this year? Let’s get together. I’m so looking forward to it!
If you are a second-year (or third or fourth) attendee and would like to add some pointers to this modest list, feel free to do so in the comments!